These tacos are filling and delicious. Lentils are packed with B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, protein and fiber. Such a little thing packed with so much nutrition! The creamy chickpea sauce is so versatile along with all it’s health benefits. It contains ample amounts of potassium, iron, calcium, fiber, and protein. This sauce is excellent on pasta, tacos, and nachos.
Whole Food Lentil Tacos with Creamy Chickpea Sauce
Prep Time - 40 Min.
- 2 Cups Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Avocados, diced
- 4 Green Onion Stalks, chopped
- Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- Favorite Salsa
- Taco Shells or Soft Tortillas Shells
Creamy Chickpea Sauce
- 1 15-Ounce Can Chickpeas, Drain but Reserve Liquid
- ½ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Onion Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt plus more to taste
Step 1: Prepare the Lentils
- Measure and rinse lentils in colander.
- Saute onion and garlic in saucepan, without oil, on medium heat for 7-8 minutes, or until fragrant. If needed, splash in a little water to prevent sticking.
- Put lentils in saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Add in chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Drain off any excess liquid and mash with a fork. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
Step 2: Prepare the Creamy Chickpea Sauce by placing all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blending until smooth. Add a little of the chickpea liquid (aguafaba) if needed to thin the sauce. Place in saucepan and cook over low-heat, stirring constantly until warm.
Step 3: Prepare taco toppings.
Step 4: Place lentils in shell. Top with toppings and drizzle with salsa and chickpea sauce. Connect to gratitude as you enjoy each bite!